Green-Schools, known internationally as Eco-Schools, is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
‘Green-Schools’ offers our school:
1. An opportunity to help develop students’ decision-making skills;
2. An opportunity to build students’ confidence and sense of citizenship through participation;
3. Curriculum materials and ideas for projects and events;
4. Access to a network of support agencies;
5. Links with other schools in Ireland and internationally;
6. A prestigious and internationally recognised award;
7. Opportunities for local and national publicity;
8. Potential for financial savings;
9. Reduction of waste and litter, reduced energy and water consumption levels;
10. Improved school environment;
11. Opportunity to involve the local community.
1. The support of the Principal and Board of Management;
2. A willingness to involve children in decision-making and action at every stage;
3. Active involvement of staff;
4. A willingness to take action to instigate long-term change.
Check out www.greenschoolsireland.org for more information!!